Transfer of Courses/Credits
College of Arts and Sciences Graduate Programs
Transfer of course credit is not automatic. For most programs, a maximum of six credits may be transferred from another accredited graduate school provided these credits are approved by the Department as part of the student’s planned program. For the MFA Program, students may transfer a maximum and minimum of eleven credits, provided the student has taken a combination of courses and credit hours equivalent to one MFA course (11 credits). As with other programs, these courses must be taken at an accredited graduate school and the credits must be approved by the Department. No grade below B will be accepted as transfer credit. The student must fill out an appropriate form requesting transfer credit. A student wishing to take work at another institution after being admitted to a graduate program must first have the written approval of his or her major department. Afterward, he or she must provide an official transcript of the work completed for the department’s final approval of the transfer of credit.
Note: Transfer credits expire six years after their completion; all work toward a master’s degree must be completed within eight years as a graduate student at Stetson. Transfer credits will be credited to the degree program only after the student has been advanced to candidacy in Counselor Education and Education.
School of Business Administration Graduate Programs
Advanced course requirements are ordinarily to be taken at Stetson. The following general policy will be applied by all directors of graduate business programs when awarding graduate transfer credit:
- A maximum of six hours of graduate credit is transferable upon entry into a graduate degree program.1 A maximum of nine hours of graduate credit is transferable from a Stetson dual degree program or from a partner school joint degree program. Transfer credit hours are not permitted for Stetson joint degree programs except from the partner school.
- Only business or economics courses taken at an AACSB-accredited university and in which the student earned a grade of B or above are eligible for transfer. Pass/fail and internship courses are not eligible for transfer credit.
- Courses may not be transferred from a previously completed degree program for credit; the student may choose to either re-take the applicable course at Stetson or select an alternative course in the same discipline, subject to director approval.
- Graduate credit must have prior approval by the director of the graduate program and the appropriate department chair. Students may be required to present course descriptions and/or course syllabi for review.
- The director of the graduate program, in consultation with the appropriate department chair(s), will determine if a course is the equivalent of a current graduate program advanced requirement. If the course is not determined to be equivalent, the course may be given credit as a graduate elective, if approved by the director of the graduate program.
In accordance with University policy, no transfer credit shall be awarded for courses taken at another institution during a term in which a degree-seeking student is enrolled at Stetson.